Smith's Ninth Grade Blog

Friday, September 08, 2006

To cell phone or not to cell phone

Recently we were sent an email with an attachment. The attachment read: Please turn off and put away all cell phones, iPods, and other electronic devices It is slightly ironc that we received this email because at a conference I attended this summer, Will Richardson commented to us that instead of telling kids to put away the technology they have, why aren't we embracing it. Have them turn on their phone to search the web, use their iPod as a flashdrive or even have them download podcasts of your lectures. So today I tried something new...I had the kids turn on their cell phones and ring in their answers. You know what? It was cool! It took some time to set up clear expectations as well as determine a few consequences for inappropriate use. But, it wasn't taking away from their education. Instead it was embracing the tools they have and using them for a creative purpose. Kids, tell them what you thought...

10 Comments:

At September 09, 2006 5:23 PM, Blogger JohnM said...

Wow. It was definately really fun because we could discuss things and actually have fun while doing it. I also belive that we shouldn't hide the technology that we have and that we should use what we've got. I also agree with Garret, David, Sarah, and Emily about everything. We should most definately do it again and A LOT more!

 
At September 09, 2006 10:06 PM, Blogger Matt Darling said...

Oh, there's no doubt that was a great idea. I agree. Why are we not using technology, when everyday there is a way to integrate it into our learning? I agree with Kyle that for students that don't have a cell phone should be able to ring in with a song from itunes. I agree that people use technology in a responsible way if they have a chance to use it. It was fun, and it got everyone to voice their opinion when they normally sit and be a sponge. We should do it more often!

 
At September 10, 2006 4:00 PM, Blogger philh said...

I liked using my selphone alot because it made the lecture fun.

 
At September 10, 2006 6:51 PM, Blogger KelliL said...

I thought using the cell phones was a great idea and alot more intresting. The kids raised[rang] their cell phones/hands alot more then usual and gave alot more opinions. Everyone was excited to to use their cell phones in class and not get it taken away by teachers.

 
At September 10, 2006 7:05 PM, Blogger Patric S. said...

I thought that is was fun, because it was like expressing our self in a new way. I liked heating everybody elses ring. And i agree that it did not take away the learning expereince. And it fun to ring i nso it gave kids that dont normaly speek a chance. It was fun to partisapate in this activity and I hope that we do it again.

 
At September 10, 2006 9:03 PM, Blogger Richard M said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At September 10, 2006 9:05 PM, Blogger Richard M said...

I really enjoyed using our phones for using them to "call in" and that really embraces the technology that we use today. It was also fun and I think that people were more out going because it wasn't so quiet and tense.

 
At September 11, 2006 3:46 PM, Blogger toreinm said...

I liked it because not only did my arm not get tired but I got to listen to everyone else’s ring tones. Also, it was much louder than raising your hand and I got called on more often. I do, however, feel like we were excluding those without a cell phone.

 
At November 15, 2006 7:15 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Hi,

I'm just reading this and I wondered how it worked. I'd love to try it but I guess I'm having trouble understanding it. BTW, I tell everyone I meet about your fishbowl discussions!

Pat

 
At August 09, 2017 8:57 PM, Blogger Natasha Koit said...

I love looking at hard penises on my phone. they get me so wet, i just masturbate to them. I hope I can be fucked by a penis one day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home